ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
CHIPOLA COLLEGE DISTANCE LEARNING
1. When can I start Distance Learning courses?
Distance Learning courses are usually offered on a semester basis. The fall semester begins in late August, the spring semester in January and the summer semester in May.
2. Are Distance Learning courses real college courses?
Distance Learning courses have the same course prefix and you will receive the same credit as other college courses. You will register just as you would for any other Chipola College class, the instructor will grade your assignments and tests, and will be available to you for help should you need it.
3. What is the difference between Distance Learning courses and traditional courses?
Traditional courses require you to attend class at the campus. Distance Learning courses will allow you to learn by interacting with your instructor, fellow students and other web sites via computer and the Internet. You will still need a textbook, turn in assignments and takes tests; however, you will have more flexibility with your schedule.
4. How do I know if Distance Learning Classes are right for me?
Click the Is Distance Learning Right for You and answer the questions.
5. What type of skills do I need to take an online class? What equipment and software do I need to take an online course?
Click the Recommended Minimum Skills page which explains the computer skills necessary for online classes and the Distance Learning PC Requirements to find out what you will need to be successful in these courses.
6. What courses are offered through Distance Learning?
Click the Distance Learning Courses page for current Distance Learning listings.
7. How often do I have to come to the Chipola campus?
You will need to visit the campus to register and with some courses to take your mid-term and final exams. While some instructors hold a mandatory orientation when the class begins, other instructors have an orientation via the on-line class. The requirements will be explained and identified in the course syllabus.
8. How do I get my textbooks and other course materials?
Books and materials can be purchased through the Chipola Bookstore. You can call them at 850-718-2258 or click to visit the Chipola Bookstore website.
9. How do I take my exams?
Most instructors require that you come to the Chipola campus to take your exams in the Testing Center.
10. How much does a Distance Learning course cost?
The cost is usually the same as for traditional classes on the Chipola campus.
11. Can I take a combination of Distance Learning courses and on-campus courses at the same time?
Yes! Since Distance Learning courses allow you to work on a flexible schedule, you can also take traditional classes. This may accelerate the progress you make in earning your degree.
12. Is financial aid available?
For more information, contact the Financial Aid office at (850) 718-2366. Click here to find out general information Financial Aid.