Phi Beta Lambda
Phi Beta Lambda, an organization for all college students having an interest in business, is the post secondary level of Future Business Leaders of America. The purpose of PBL is to provide additional opportunities for students in business to develop their career abilities and to display programs and activities of the group. Any student interested in business is welcome to join. You do not have to be a business major.
PBL is the college level division of FBLA-PBL, the largest business career student organization in the world. Associate Professor, Vikki Milton, serves as the Chipola College PBL adviser, as well as the Florida District I PBL State Adviser.
PBL Activities at Chipola College
Seminars, workshops, and tours: Members of PBL determine programs for the year which includes speakers from all areas of business and others like engineers, credit bureau; toured manufacturing plants, banks; and held work shops on leadership, group dynamics, memory, etiquette, etc.
- March of Dimes Sneaker Sales: Every year members participate with sneaker sales to raise money for research and education which is also a PBL national project.
- Community Projects: Toys for tots, Habitat for Humanity, Stopover House food and dry goods collection, Clothes for Chipola Ministries, Ronald McDonald House collections, and Relay for Life. Students determine the projects to do each year.
- Chipola Homecoming Participant—3rd in Building Decorations for 2006, talent show, Mr. And Ms. Chipola Representatives.
- Senior Day and Club Day—video, backboard presentation, members man booth and sometimes have activities like chances for entrepreneurship success game.
- Fall Festival and Spring Frolics: members have a lot of fun competing with other organizations, enjoying rock wall, moonwalk, lassoing, and the pool.
- District PBL Conference—held at Florida State
University or Florida A & M University where members compete with other
chapters to get a preview of state competition.
Chipola College students attend Florida PBL Leadership Conference. (L to R) Jordan Hatcher, Tracy Scott, Paige White, Michael Ingram, Devon Beechum
- State PBL Conference: Members
compete with other college, university, vocational, and technical schools.
Chipola generally is well represented not only in attendance but in
garnering awards. First and second place winners may compete at national
which is held in one of the five regions of the United States.
2010 - Chipola College Phi Beta Lambda members competed against 380 PBL students from colleges and universities throughout the state at the Florida PBL State Leadership Conference in Tampa, Florida. Taking top honors in performance events and exams were Jordan Hatcher - 3rd place Justice Administration; Tracy Scott - 4th place Accounting Principles; Paige White - 5th place Client Service; Michael Ingram - 5th place Financial Analysis and Decision Making.
Qualifying students will advance to the National PBL Leadership Conference to be held in Nashville, TN, in July, where they will also participate in numerous leadership and career development workshops to acquire cutting-edge skills for today's competitive business environment.
- National PBL Conference: For the past decade Chipola students have qualified for some of the national competitions and placed in the top 10.
For more information, contact:
Vikki Milton, Adviser
(850) 526-2761, ext. 3371
Last Updated June 16, 2011