Course Description:An analysis of courtroom procedures, presentation of evidence and judicial decisions. Rules of evidence and the roles of judge, prosecutor, defense and jury will be discussed.
Required textbooks/ course materials:
Hails, Judy. Criminal Evidence. 8th Ed. Cengage, 2014. Print. ISBN: 9781285062860.
See first-day handout
Discipline-level learning outcomes:
SS-03.0 Identify criminal investigation procedures.
SS-09.0 Explain the U.S. Court System and the relation to the rules of evidence.
SS-12.0 Demonstrate oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
SS-13.0 Demonstrate basic computer skills and competency in common software applications.
Course-level learning outcomes:
|Course-level student learning outcomes||Discipline-level learning outcomes||Assessment methods|
SS-03.01, SS-12.0, SS-13.0
SS-03.02, SS-12.0, SS-13.0
SS-03.05, SS-12.0, SS-13.0
SS-09.06, SS-12.0, SS-13.0
|Tests, Quizzes, Reports, Writing Assignments|
Means of accomplishing learning outcomes:
- Read all assigned materials
- Attend and participate in class discussions
- Complete study guides and notes from class discussions and lectures
- All courses taught under the auspices of the Social and Behavioral Sciences will include an oral component, oral presentations, and or classroom discussions. Note: Online and Distance Learning courses will not contain the oral component.
- Assignment Schedule (see first-day handout)
- Role of Courts
- The Adjudication Process
- Types of Evidence
- Direct and Circumstantial Evidence
- Crime Scene Evidence and Experiments
- Documentary Evidence, Models, Maps, and Diagrams
- Hearsay and its Exceptions
- Privileged Communications
- Developing Law of Search and Seizure
- Field Interviews, Arrests, and Jail Searches
- Plain View, Consent, Vehicle and Administrative Searches
- USA Patriot Act, Foreign Intelligence, and other types of Electronic Surveillance Covered by Federal Law
- Identification Procedures
- Preparing the Case for Court
College-wide policies and resources
For more specific information on Chipola's college-wide academic policies and resources available to students, visit the link below.Policies & Resources