Human Growth and Development
Course Code: DEP2004
Credit Hours: 3
Effective beginning: 2021-22
Course Description:A course in which bio-physical, cognitive and psychosocial development throughout the life span (from conception to death) will be considered, as well as problems specific to each stage. This course is required for pre-nursing students. The course carries division elective credit only.
Completion of DEP 2102 is strongly recommended as preparation for this course.
Willie E. Spires
Required textbooks/ course materials:
Rathus, Spencer A. HDEV 6 w/ACCESS. 6th ed. Boston: Cengage Learning. 2020. Print. ISBN: 9780357040812
See your Instructor First Day Handout for individual instructor assignment schedule.
Discipline-level learning outcomes:
SS-1 Identify behaviors and social trends, using appropriate research methodologies.
SS-2 Identify global influences on social, behavioral, and historical issue.
SS-3 Examine significant historical events.
SS-4 Identify differences and commonalities within diverse cultures.
|Course-level student learning outcomes||Discipline-level learning outcomes||Assessment methods|
SS-1, SS-2, SS-3, SS-4
|Tests, Skills Demonstration, Projects|
- Read all assigned materials.
- Attend and participate in class discussions.
- Complete study guides and notes from class discussions and lectures.
Courses taught under the auspices of the Social and Behavioral Sciences will include an oral component, oral presentations and/or classroom discussions. Note: Online and Distance Learning Courses will not contain the oral component.
Chapters are as follows:
- History, Theories and Methods
- Heredity and Prenatal Development
- Birth and Newborn Baby: In the New World
- Infancy: Physical Development
- Infancy: Cognitive Development
- Infancy: Social and Emotional Development
- Early Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood: Social and Emotional Development
- Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Childhood: Social and Emotional Development
- Adolescence: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Adolescence: Social and Emotional Development
- Early Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development
- Middle Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development
- Late Adulthood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Late Adulthood: Social and Emotional Development
- Life’s Final Chapter
College-wide policies and resources
For more specific information on Chipola's college-wide academic policies and resources available to students, visit the link below.