Course Code: DEP2102
Credit Hours: 3
Effective beginning: 2021-22
Course Description:A course with application to an objective study of the preadolescent child. Preadolescent physical, psychological, and social development are studied. Special problems of child training in the family and of social adjustment at school are discussed.
Willie E. Spires
Required textbooks/ course materials:
Rathus, Spencer A. CDEV2: Child and Adolescent Development. 2nd ed. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2018. Print. ISBN: 9781337116947
See your Instructor First Day Handout for individual instructor assignment schedule.
Discipline-level learning outcomes:
SS-1 Identify behaviors and social trends, using appropriate research methodologies.
SS-2 Identify global influences on social, behavioral, and historical issue.
SS-3 Examine significant historical events.
SS-4 Identify differences and commonalities within diverse cultures.
|Course-level student learning outcomes||Discipline-level learning outcomes||Assessment methods|
SS-1, SS-2, SS-3, SS-4
|Tests, Cumulative Final, Report/Presentation, Projects, Skills Demonstration|
- Read all assigned materials.
- Attend and participate in class discussions.
- Complete study guides and notes from class discussions and lectures.
- Courses taught under the auspices of the Social and Behavioral Sciences will include an oral component, oral presentations and/or classroom discussions. Note: Online and Distance Learning Courses will not contain the oral component.
Chapters are as follows:
- History, Theories and Methods
- Conception and Prenatal Development
- Birth and Newborn Baby: In the New World
- Infancy: Physical Development
- Infancy: Cognitive Development
- Infancy: Social and Emotional Development
- Early Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Early Childhood: Social and Emotional Development
- Middle Childhood: Physical and Cognitive Development
- Middle Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Middle Childhood: Social and Emotional Development
- Adolescence: Physical Development
- Adolescence: Cognitive Development
- Adolescence: Emotional Development
College-wide policies and resources
For more specific information on Chipola's college-wide academic policies and resources available to students, visit the link below.