Introduction to Industrial Psychology
Course Description:This course is designed to help students understand human relations, getting along with other people, and succeeding in the world of work.
Willie E. Spires
Required textbooks/ course materials:
Reece, Barry and Reece, Monique. Effective Human Relations: Interpersonal and Organizational Applications (LL)-W/ACCESS. 13th ed. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2017. ISBN: 9781305937130
Cialdini, Robert B., Ph.D. Influence, New, and Expanded: The Psychology of Persuasion. HarperCollins, 2021. ISBN: 9780062937650 (hardcover); 9780062937674 (e-book)
See first-day handout
Discipline-level learning outcomes:
SS-1 Identify behaviors and social trends, using appropriate research methodologies.
SS-2 Identify global influences on social, behavioral, and historical issues.
SS-3 Examine significant historical events.
SS-4 Identify differences and commonalities within diverse cultures.
Course-level learning outcomes:
|Course-level student learning outcomes||Discipline-level learning outcomes||Assessment methods|
SS-1, SS3-, SS-4
SS-1, SS-3, SS-4
|Tests, Quizzes, Writing Assignments|
Means of accomplishing learning outcomes:
- Read all assigned materials.
- Attend and participate in class discussions.
- Complete study guides and notes from class discussions and lectures.
- Courses taught under the auspices of the Social and Behavioral Sciences will include an oral component, oral presentations and/or classroom discussions. Note: Online and Distance Learning Courses will not contain the oral component.
Chapters are as follows:
- Introduction to Human Relations
- Improving Personal and Organizational Communications
- Understanding Your Communication Style
- Building High Self-Esteem
- Personal Values Influence Ethical Choices
- Attitudes Can Shape Your Life
- Motivating Yourself and Others
- Improving Interpersonal Relations with Constructive Self-disclosure
- Achieving Emotional Balance in a Chaotic World
- Building Stronger Relationships with Positive Energy
- Developing a Professional Presence
- Team Building: A Leadership Strategy
- Resolving Conflict and Dealing with Difficult People
- Responding to Personal and Work-Related Stress
- Valuing Workforce Diversity and Inclusion
- The Changing Roles of Men and Women
- A Life Plan for Effective Human Relations
College-wide policies and resources
For more specific information on Chipola's college-wide academic policies and resources available to students, visit the link below.