Student Records

Chipola College policy fully complies with the Buckley Amendment and all other applicable federal and state laws in order to protect the privacy of student educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for correction of inaccurate data.

Chipola College identifies the following as directory information: student’s name, address, educational institution attended; dates of attendance (session dates only); published photographs; degrees and awards received including Dean’s List; major field of study; participation in college activities and sports; and weight and height of members of athletic teams. We do not consider telephone numbers or email addresses as part of the Directory Information. If any student wishes for their information to be excluded from considered as Directory Information they must specify in writing to the Admissions and Records Office no later than the tenth calendar day of classes in each term that this information is to be withheld.

Items open to inspection only by the student, the eligible parent/guardian of the student, and members of the professional staff who have responsibility for working with the student are as follows: health and medical records, disciplinary records, personal counseling and advising records, student placement files relating to employment, general test information, required student and family financial income records, and student permanent academic records, including grade reports and other supporting data.

In order for parents to have access to their child’s records without written permission from the child, the parents must certify that the child is economically dependent upon the parent as defined by Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954. Whenever a student has attained eighteen years of age, or is attending an institution of postsecondary education, the permission or consent required of and the rights accorded to the parents of the student shall thereafter only be required of and accorded the student.

Students who want to see the items in their permanent folders that are available to them should make a request in writing to the Admissions and Records Office. Students who wish to challenge the contents of their records should contact the Admissions and Records Office concerning the procedures to be followed.

Any students who desire complete information relating to student access and student protection of records should contact the Admissions and Records Office.

Official Transcripts

The official academic transcript of a Chipola College student will be furnished only upon his or her written request to the Admissions and Records Office. The college reserves the right to deny a transcript or withhold any information on any student including students whose financial record is not clear.