In order to qualify for a fee exemption as a result of homelessness, the student must meet the criteria outlined in Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f):
- A student who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence; or
- Primary nighttime residence is a public or private shelter designed to provide temporary residence for individuals intended to be institutionalized, or
- A public or private place not designed for, or ordinarily used as, a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings.
NOTE: Chipola defines temporary as 12 months or less.
What does the exemption cover? Tuition and fees, including lab fees
To Qualify for Waiver:
- Apply for Admissions
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Register for classes during the term you are applying for the homeless exemption
- Provide original documentation on letterhead for proof of homelessness as defined by Florida Statute 1009.25(1)(f), i.e. letter from a publicly or privately operated homeless shelter, food/clothing bank, transitional ministry, etc. The letter must include contact information and the date for which services began.
- A letter must accompany this waiver from a local public or private shelter each semester. FAXES are not accepted. Waivers will not be accepted prior to seven days before the beginning of a semester.
- If you fully withdraw from ALL classes in any term in which the Homeless Fee Exemption is used, you will not be eligible for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
- You must provide a Florida ID in order to be considered for future Homeless Fee Exemptions.
To obtain FL ID: https://www.flhsmv.gov/locations/jackson/
Ifyou have completed your application for admission, please visit the Director of Enrollment Services located in A -141 to complete your Homeless Fee Exemption Waiver.